“Thanks to the versatility of The Smoking Gun we can infuse smoke into liquids. In this case I tried smoking different beers (Heineken, Corona and Guinness) with mesquite smoke. The resulting smoke flavour is subtle and adds a nice touch to the beer.
The winner? In my opinion, Heineken beer.”
The idea of smoked beer is not completely new.…Wikipedia says:
Smoked beer (German: Rauchbier) is a type of beer with a distinctive smoke flavour imparted by using malted barley dried over an open flame.
The Rauchbiers of Bamberg in Germany, Schlenkerla in particular are the best known of the smoked beers. Drying malt over an open flame may impart a smoky character to the malt. This character may carry over to beers brewed with the smoked malt.
- Heineken or another beer of your choice
- Mesquite Wood Chips and The Smoking Gun
- Pour the beer in a glass or jug.
- Prepare the smoking gun with mesquite wood chips.
- Insert the Smoking Gun hose in the beer, but just keep it at the top, do not immerse it too much.
- Cover the glass or jug with plastic wrap.
- Turn on the Smoking Gun and light the wood chips.
- Agitate the glass or jug slightly for a couple of minutes.
- Enjoy the smoked beer!
Recipe from: Molecular Recipes